Friday, April 3, 2009

Trials & Tribulations...Hypnotherapy begins


Late last year I was successful in losing another 10 kilos. I tried Pilates (will post more on Pilates later) and eating less meat.

I ate mainly raw vegetables and whole grains. I avoided bread and complicated carbohydrates. But, like most diets I have tried I failed to stick to it. I have since put 6 kilos back on.

I realised that the critical problem I face, and I am sure most large people face, is that I give in to the cravings. And I give in to the cravings because the cravings don't go away.

So how to combat this?

That's when I decided to try Hypnotherapy.

I saw an add for a Hypnotherapist in the local paper. After calling and finding out more about what she offered I decided to save up and try it.

Yesterday was my second session. She prescribed 3 sessions spaced a week apart.

The first session was weird for me. I envisioned a shiny gold watch being dangled in front of me and waking up several minutes later not knowing what had taken place. I thought that I would be completely cured of my sugar cravings and want to immediately go for a run and eat apples for dinner (or at least along those lines).

I got to say that I am disappointed due to my high hopes.

My Hypnotherapist uses lobby music to calm her patient and lulls them into a half sleep. They lie on her couch in this state as she repeatedly tells them they will not want to eat certain foods and that they will want to eat healthier foods.

The results the first week were minimal. I'm not sure if I just didn't feel like it or not, but, I didn't want to eat takeaways or eat out. I cooked healthy balanced meals almost every night. This is the second week and I haven't had any fast food cravings but I must admit I ate some for my birthday dinner.

So I am unsure if this hypnotherapist has made any changes to my psyche.

My second session focused on sugary foods. These I use to get me through hectic days at work and they have become an addiction. I usually crave a sugary treat for morning and afternoon tea.

My craving seems to have reduced significantly but it has only been 24 hours.

I still have one more session to go and I think the up coming week will give me more of an idea if my hypnotherapy has worked.
Will write more on my results and hypnotherapy later...